Training Update: Weymouth Woods 100K Recovery Process

Its been a long month of recovery since the end of the Weymouth Woods 100K in Southern Pines, NC where I finished 2nd Overall in 9:55:06. As far as "feeling better" goes, I was surprised to feel relatively decent as soon as three days after finishing. I tried a few easy shakeout runs the week after the race, and that's when a variety of nagging aches and pains got the better of my legs. After a rather pitiful session of about a mile and a half on the treadmill a week or so after the race, I decided that my legs needed a break. I took a full week off and then slowly incorporated some mileage back in, definitely on the very low side of my training volume. After the week off, I focused on runs of 3-5 for a total of 18 miles that week. The next week featured a few slightly longer runs with a peak of 8.5 miles for a total of 30 miles that week. I am happy to say that my legs are finally feeling better and that I have the spring back in my step. I had targeted the Tobacco Road Marathon in March but after a hard winter season of racing the Thunder Road Marathon and then the 100K I decided that it would be in my best interest to take some recovery time.

Right now, I do not have a definitive race in mind. I am looking at doing a half marathon in May, and then an Ultramarathon, probably another 100K, in either July or August. In November, I will more than likely be racing the New York City Marathon! For right now, I am going to continue to building my mileage back up to a base of 55-65 miles a week. I'm going to run a few local races when I return to Charlotte over spring break such as the Shamrock 4 Miler and the Elizabeth 8K.

Finally, I want to say thank you to everyone who has read my blogs post or congratulated me on one of my races. I promise that you will be hearing much more from me in the future. Another training update coming soon.

Tentative Race Schedule:

Shamrock 4 Miler - Charlotte, NC - March 12th, 2016
Elizabeth 8K - Charlotte, NC - March 19th, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

TARC Winter Fells 40 Mile Race Recap