Year of the PR: Training Update, and Shifters 5K Race Recap

As far as improving on my times in various events, this has been a breakout year. In the last 6 months I have smashed my half marathon PR in September and marathon PR in November by 3.5 minutes and 13.5 minutes to 1:19:28 and 2:53:16. I also lowered my 8K by 40 seconds in November to 27:59 and now my 5K PR by 15 seconds in April to a new time of 16:43! To top all of this off, I made my Ultramarathon debut in January with a 9:55:06 in the 100K. All my hard work is now starting to pay dividends in events I did not even expect it.

On Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 I competed in the Shifters 5K in Waltham, MA. I decided last minute to hop into this event because I wanted to see if I had improved on my 8K effort from two weeks before hand. The race starts at 1:00pm so I had plenty of time to sleep in a little bit and get ready for the race. The forecast called for cold rain, and sure enough it was pouring out when I woke up. I got ready, ate a bagel for breakfast and then waited for my friend Dave Menard, who also ran the 5K, to come drive us to the race. When we got to the race we quickly registered and then ran the course to get a feel for it. The course had one giant hill at the very start but made up for it on the last mile which was almost all straight downhill. I was feeling alright on the warmup, but not great. My goal heading into this race was too get in a solid effort and hopefully push under 17:30. As the race came closer to starting I surveyed the competition and did some strides and stretches. Soon enough, we were on the start line and the rain was coming down pretty hard. The siren went off and I jumped to the front. My plan was to start conservatively and push hard as soon as I crested the hill. This led to a five or six of us all hunched in the lead until I blew it open when we hit the flats. Only one guy stuck with me and he went hard, even passing by me for about a half a mile. The two of us hit the mile right at 5:37. I was feeling pretty good and my turnover felt surprisingly high. The second mile featured the most turns on the course although it was largely flat. All I could think about this mile was keeping the 2nd place guy behind me until we hit the downhills. Just before we hit mile two I threw in a surge to try and keep him off balance and I believe that I opened up a second or two, which he quickly closed. We both passed mile two in 11:10 with a 5:33 second mile. When I turned and hit the downhill I took off with all the speed I had in my legs and put in a huge surge. We were flying on the downhill, but I did not feel like I was opening up too much of a lead. I kept hitting the pace hard and finally rounded the last turn of the course before a long straightaway to the finish. I could feel myself slowing down a little bit but not too bad. As I closed on the finish line I looked back and saw that I had the win safely in the bag. It was at that point though that I noticed the clock. I had assumed that I would finish somewhere in the 17:15s based on how the race had panned out so far, but I was shocked to see 16:30s ticking up on the clock. I pushed as hard as I could and finished 1st Overall with a new PR of 16:43! Second place came in just behind me in 16:48. He said that his Garmin recorded a split of 5:04 for the 3rd mile, meaning that my third mile had come in at 4:59 to 5:00! I was pretty ecstatic with this result and I think I am looking good for a sub-35 10K at the James Joyce 10K on April 24th, 2016. After the race Dave and I headed over to the Cooper House Tavern where they were having an after party with music and free food. For my win I ended up getting and medal as well as a 40$ gift certificate to the restaurant. All in all, a great race that also capped off a solid week of training. That now brings me to my last two weeks of training…

Week of March 21st, 2016 to March 27th, 2016

65 Miles 
10 Runs 
Average of 6.50 Miles Per Run
7.54 Hours of Running 

Runs: 

Monday: 10.2 Miles (6.2 @ 6:37 Pace, 4 @ 6:57 Pace)
Tuesday: 11.3 Miles @ 6:56 Pace
Wednesday: 8.5 Miles @ 6:58 Pace
Thursday: 10 Miles (7 @ 7:00 Pace, 3 @ 7:04 Pace) 
Friday: 10 Miles @ 7:03 Pace
Saturday: 8.5 Miles (6.2 @ 7:39 Pace, 2.3 @ 6:26 Pace)
Sunday: 6.5 Miles @ 6:35 Pace

Week in Review:

Pretty solid week of training, but it was difficult on my legs to readjust to the higher mileage. Felt a lot of fatigue towards the end of the week. Switched out my shoes and got a new pair of the Mizuno Wave Hitogami’s as well as a pair of the HOKA ONE ONE Challengers.


Week of March 28th, 2016 to April 3rd, 2016

60 Miles
8 Runs
Average of 7.5 Miles Per Run
7.20 Hours of Running

Runs: 

Monday: 8.1 Miles (5 @ 7:22 Pace, 3.1 @ 6:55 Pace)
Tuesday: 7 Miles @ 7:07 Pace
Wednesday: 19.3 Miles @ 7:27 Pace
Thursday: 4 Miles @ 6:43 Pace
Friday: 6.2 Miles @ 7:18 Pace
Saturday: 8 Miles (5K in 16:43, 4.9 Miles @ 7:40 Pace)
Sunday: 7.5 Miles @ 7:08 Pace

Week in Review:

What started off as a pretty bad week turned into a great one by Sunday. Had a little more soreness after my long run than I would have liked, but I do not think it ended up hindering my race on Saturday. Overall, the lower mileage this week definitely helped my feel fresher and I’m ready to crank it up a little bit more this week.


One again thanks to everyone who gives my blog a read. Going to continue to have training updates, race recaps, and probably just more running news in general. In addition, if anyone is interested reading about my workouts or wants to know splits I have my training log up on Athleticore at:

http://athleticore.com/directory/profile_view.asp?id=11073&sort=LName,%20FName&searchbox=FName&searchtext=chase&page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

TARC Winter Fells 40 Mile Race Recap