Training Update: 8 Days Out From Weymouth Woods

It's almost race day and my excitement is continuing to build as we get closer and closer to the starting gun! I feel like I am in probably the best shape of my life at the moment. Some other race related news that has popped up: as of now the weather is calling for rain during the afternoon hours of the race, but this could change so I don't think that it will be much of a problem. We have a hotel booked that is only 3-4 miles from the course and we are leaving for Southern Pines, NC around noon on Friday so that I can run the course beforehand. Have already figured out my pacing and fueling strategies and spent a good deal of time talking with the guys down at the Ultra Running Store in Charlotte, NC about what to expect in my first ultra. I have started my taper and I am cutting mileage down to about just over 50 miles this week with just a few short easy runs next week. 

Listed below is my training for the past several weeks. 

Week of December 14th, 2015 to December 20th, 2015 

64 Miles 
10 Runs 
Average of 6.40 Miles Per Run
7.8 Hours of Running 

Runs: 

Monday: 11 Miles (5 AM, 6 PM)
Tuesday: 8 Miles
Wednesday: 11 Miles (6 AM, 5 PM)
Thursday: 12 Miles (8 AM, 4 PM) 
Friday: 8 Miles 
Saturday: 1 Mile 
Sunday: 13 Miles @ 7:09 Pace 

Week in Review:

Not a great week of training due to studying for exams and having to fly home. Fell short of my mileage goal for the week but still managed to get in a run on Saturday even though our flight ended up being cancelled. Regrouping for a solid week this coming week. 


Week of December 21st, 2015 to December 27th, 2015 

74.2 Miles 
11 Runs 
Average of 6.75 Miles Per Run
8.94 Hours of Running 

Runs: 

Monday: 4 Miles 
Tuesday: 11 Miles (8 AM @ 6:46 Pace, 3 PM) 
Wednesday: 7 Miles 
Thursday: 11 Miles (9 AM @ 6:54 Pace, 2 PM) 
Friday: 6.2 Miles 
Saturday: 20 Miles (16 AM @ 7:18 Pace, 4 PM) 
Sunday: 15 Miles (10 AM @ 7:25 Pace, 5 PM)

Week in Review:

Very strong week after weaker mileage last week. Felt great on my back to back long runs and it was good to spend more time on my feet. Also had some solid runs during the middle of the week.


Week of December 28th, 2015 to January 3rd, 2016

80 Miles 
12 Runs 
Average of 6.67 Miles Per Run
8.94 Hours of Running 

Runs: 

Monday: 9 Miles (5 AM, 4 PM) 
Tuesday: 8 Miles 
Wednesday:  9 Miles (5 AM, 4 PM) 
Thursday:  9 Miles (4 AM, 5 PM) 
Friday: 5 Miles 
Saturday: 20 Miles (16 AM @ 7:13 Pace, 4 PM) 
Sunday: 20 Miles (16 AM @ 7:32 Pace, 4 PM)

Week in Review:

Hit my first ever 80 mile week this week as well as my first time doing 12 runs in a single week. Great week of training overall that is giving me confidence for this race. Running back to back 20 mile days definitely gave me an idea of what it would be like running when I am exhausted though. Taper starts now! 

Recap: 

Overall, I feel pretty confident in my aerobic base right now. I have been building up since August when I first started training for the Thunder Road Marathon. I have put in 7-8 weeks of 70+ miles since then with a few more in the mid 60s. If this race goes well I am thinking of changing up my racing schedule and entering in the Vermont 100 Mile, which conveniently has a registration date of January 17th, 2016, only one day after my 100K. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

TARC Winter Fells 40 Mile Race Recap